Thursday, September 27, 2012

Halloween Look 2- Masquerade

The thought of going to a ball evokes all sorts of wonderful ideas: princesses, dancing, beautiful dresses, and Masquerade Masks. So I thought a masquerade look for Halloween would be a great costume! Here is the look I came up with and how it was created!:

Let's get started!


The first step was to put the mask on and map out what areas of my eyes would be visible. I used a silver eyeliner to make some dots as guidelines while I was working.


I used a stark white color on my inner color. The idea of this look is for the eyeshadow to get darker the farther out it goes, so I wanted the inner corner to be very light.


Then I used a light purple color. I put this on the inner third of my eye. I did not just keep the color on the lid, but went all the way up to the base of my eyebrow. I used a patting motion to get the most color payoff.


The next color I used is a medium purple. I put this over the center of the lid and took it all the way up to the eyebrow. 


The last purple I used was a dark purple. I placed it on the outer edge of my eyelid and applied it all the way up to my brow. I also brought the color out much farther than I normally would, because of the shape I wanted under the mask. I did keep true to my eye shape by using my eyebrow and my lash line as the guide for the shadow. This means that this will be a great look even if you take the mask off during the night.


I used the same colors in the same order underneath my eye. I brought them quite far down. This matched the outer edge of the eyeshadow above my eye, and also filled the space where the mask would be open. I recommend using your mask throughout applying your makeup as a guide. I checked often the make sure I was happy with where everything was going. At this point I would also do your foundation. I did not do it earlier, so that fallout from the eyeshadows would not be an issue.


The next step was the most fun to me! You get to go a little crazy with the eyeliner. This is the shape that I decided on, a large wing and a some extra drama in the inner corner. This part is specific to your eye shape, the mask you chose, and what you think looks best. Get creative! I used both liquid liner and a pen liner to achieve this design. I also lined my upper and lower water line with a black pencil.


Add your favorite mascara and you're done with the eyes! I think some great false lashes would also be great for this costume!


Add some contour and blush to finish up the skin. I kept this pretty simple, because the eyes and the mask were do dramatic.



I finished the look with a nude lip, again wanting to keep the attention on the eyes, and voila! I love this look, because it is fun and dramatic by itself, but I think it also brings out the colors in the mask and makes a beautiful costume! I would finish up this look with a simple dress in one of the colors of the mask, or a black dress and a great pair of heals.

I hope you like this look and it gave you some ideas for Halloween. Let me know what you think in the comments! If you have any requests for looks leave them in the comments too! -Jessica















1 comment: