Monday, November 12, 2012

Classy Color Look


 My favorite thing is when a friend tells me, "I can't wear that!" The great thing about makeup is that it was all made to wear by a wide range of people. The key is just to play around and get comfortable seeing yourself in something new! My dear friend Beth has said often, "I just don't know how to wear something like that."So today we decided to have some fun with color and this is what happened:


Let's get started!:


The first step is to prime the eyes. I also used a NYX Milk jumbo eye pencil in the inner corner and Buck, a matte medium brown, in the crease. Using a color like Buck can make it easier to blend other colors later on in the process.


Fishnet, an iridescent light purple that has a blue undertone, is a color from Urban Decay and I used a flat shader brush to apply it all over the lid. 


Next I used Underground, a medium brown with high shimmer, in the outer third of the eye and blended in the crease.


To darken the crease I used Darkhorse, a dark brown, on a fluffy crease brush. I tried to concentrate this color in the crease and then blended it into underground to soften the effect.


I used Virgin, a white eyeshadow, to highlight the inner corner and below the brow bone. Also, using the same fluffy brush as before, I added some of Darkhorse along the lower lash line to add a smokey effect and to balance the purple on the lid.


Now you should add your favorite eyeliner and mascara. I used a pen eyeliner to give her a small wing. This also balances out the purple, but you can still see the beautiful color on the lid. 


This is her full face before and after! To finish out the face I did some light contouring, added a small amount of peach blush to warm up her skin, and added a nice lipstick she already owned. 

The true key to using new and bright colors is balance. Using neutrals and toned down colors in other areas of the face help the bright color be the focus and complement it. I think colors are really beautiful when done well and are the truly fun part of makeup. Try some colors out in your collection!

Let me know what you think and what you would like to see next in the comments below! -Jessica










3 comments:

  1. I love purple eyes! That's a great tip about the matte neutral in the crease first. I didn't know that. Will have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty! This is very helpful because I always buy nude pallets!

    ReplyDelete